How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alex J. Your Own Question

Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3611
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have inherited 1/3 voting shares in a family business. The

Resolved Question:

I have inherited 1/3 voting shares in a family business. The directors (between them own 2/3rds). They have refused to register my shares which they can do as per the mem and arts. They have offered to buy them at a valuation based on the companies 2013 figures.
They are now saying they are taking legal action to obtain ownership of my shares which will give them 100% control of the company especially as certain changes to the mem and arts requires a 75% majority.
Can they do this?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. They cannot make any changes to the company which require a special resolution for example changing the articles of association. As a minority shareholder you do have rights and protections against being unfairly prejudiced under S.994 of the Companies Act 2006, but this is a last resort. What do the articles say about refusing to register your shares? Are they Table A articles? Do you have the share certificates?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Articles state"the directors may in their absolute discretion decline to register the transfer of any share and shall not be bound to state the reason for any such refusal".
This, in my opinion does not relate to ownership. These shares were bequeathed to me. When the mem and arts were incorporated in 1937 they were done in such a way that no 2 directors could "gang" up on another to change the mem and arts. A 75% majority was required. My uncle "chairman and director" on passing away left his shares to his wife " my aunt" and the company registered these shares. On her death she left them to me. The shares represent our side of the family.
The directors have never contacted me directly regarding these shares. I am also the 3rd largest shareholder of A ordinary shares.
The directors have stated that they will never register my shares and it is unlikely that any dividends will be paid to shareholders for many years.
I do not have a share certificate regarding thes voting shares as they are not registered.
I view this as an attempt for the current 2 directors " my cousins" to gain total control of the company.
The executor of my Aunt sent a transfer of these shares document to companies house, the company and myself.
Can they legally go to court to take ownership of these shares?Robert
Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. I agree you are correct, the registration and the ownership are separate matters. You are the beneficial owner of the shares. If they refuse to register you or negotiate a fair valuation, you can either:

(i) go to court and sue in order to be registered;

(ii) Sue for a fair valuation of the shares.

Do you actually want to be involved in the management of the company?

Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3611
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice