Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can I buy a shared ownership property when my husband owns a

Can I buy a shared ownership property when my husband owns a house in his sole name
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I forgot to mention that my husband and I are separating and he is refusing to leave the house and I considered buying shared ownership so I have somewhere to live
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-Are you in England or Wales?
-How long have you been married?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What is the value of the family home, and what is the outstanding mortgage?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I m in England . We have been married for 20 years. The home is worth £330,000 and he owns another property worth £180 000.
I earn £28000 and he s currently not earning anything apart from the rent of the other property. We have two children one is 11 and the other one is 19. He has refused to go for mediation etc and wants to have a lengthy court procedure. It has been stressful living with him and he has been aggressive and was arrested by police and allowed to return home. I m not keen on fighting over money and just wanted to start afresh through buying shared ownership just to give my kids piece of mind.i just wanted to know if I would be allowed to buy through shared ownership as I don't legally own property.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

You would be entitled to purchase a shared ownership property so long as you satisfy the housing association/seller's requirements.

However, given that you have been married for 20 years and there are assets you would be entitled to seek financial relief from him as part of the divorce if this is required.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.,