13262538

My grandauther's father died and she was next of kin. He had

Customer Question

My grandauther's father died and she was next of kin. He had a policy that was paid out to her grandfather (her father's dad). She was not informed about this and has since found out. She does not have much to do with them. Can she ask for the details of this payout and does she have any rights.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What do you actually know about the policy?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We were told by a friend of the family in that a life insurance policy was paid out and my grandaughter was not told about it. It had been troubling her because she said that my grandaughter's father would have wanted her to have the money. As far as we were aware he was in debt and didn't have any money. The money is not our main concern it is the fact that they must have told lies in order to get the payout. The insurance company we were told was esure but we cannot trace this company.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When my grandaughter phoned to say she knew about the money, they were shocked and said they had receipts for the debts he owed. She asked for copies of them and a copy from the insurance company but they have not replied.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Ho wold is your granddaughter - and is she willing to take official steps regarding this if necessary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My granddaughter is 19 but she has mental health problems so she would prefer if I dealt with it. She would like to know if she has any rights regarding this matter and what if any official steps can she take? Please bear in mind her mum is a single mum and she does not work herself.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Unless the Policy was directly payable to his father then what her other grandfather has done amounts to criminal fraud

I would suggest that you write a clam and formal letter to him on her behalf asking for a full accounting of the monies received and the debts paid.

i suggest you use the words

"We understand that there was no intention to commit fraud but need to understand what money was received and how it was spent.

It is always better to deal with these matters between ourselves rather than involving any other authority"

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Morning, We have asked for copies of the debts paid and monies received and we gave them 14 days which is up now and they have not responded. Do you suggest we write again. Or is there anything else we can do?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Send another letter - use the wording above - but where I say "other authority" put Police