12826847

My stepdaughter has just received keys to her student house

Customer Question

Hi ... My stepdaughter has just received keys to her student house and it is unacceptable.
The agent they found the property through is very poor at responding to emails or voicemails. He has only given a brief 'text' on a couple of occasions despite many attempts to communicate with him to resolve the issues. We tried visiting him at his office to find it whitewashed over.
- Not been cleaned.
-Bathroom not fully functional ( shower screen off the wall, loose tiles in the bath, missng grouting, bath/ shpwer are not siliconed).
- Large Mirrored wardrobe unsafe - it's top heavy and falls over when door is opened).
- No Gas Safety certificate / Electrical safety (PAT) certificate
- smoke alarm in her bedroom not working
- No blinds or curtains throughout the property
- no HMO license, Council say an application has been made.
- The AST is in the name of the Agent as Landlord - no landlords details have been provided to date.
My stepdaughter is sharing with 6 other students who have each paid one months rent (£485) in advance , on 7th August, in addition to a deposit of (£730) each. No deposit scheme certificate / ref number, details or prescribed information have been supplied by the agent to date, despite this being requested in writing. He has said he will bring it 'tomorrow'.
In short, I'd like to know whether we have any legal right to withhold next months rent (due 8th Sept) until such time as the above issues are rectified? The contract says they have the right to repossess the property if the rent is 14 days overdue, and / or charge interest. Naturally we do not want to jeopardise her position as a tenant
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the tenancy agreement permit or forbid to withhold rent please?