How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9181
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My father died in 2005. Within his Will it stated that his

Customer Question

My father died in 2005. Within his Will it stated that his estate would be left to his wife and then upon her death, shared between 4 children (2 of her children, myself & brother)
His wife died recently and we were contacted by a solicitor saying he was a trustee for my fathers Will. Apparently 22 months after his death a deed of variation was made by his Wife to remove her children out of Dad's Will, his estate was valued and a trust was created to protect this and now my brother and I will benefit. Within the deed of variation it stated that the home was done as joint tenants, yet on the day he died it was changed to tenants in common. My Dad was unconscious for the last 2 weeks of his life. Is this legal?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

How do you know that your father didn’t ask someone to submit the severance of joint tenancy before he died and it only got registered several weeks later. A two-week delay at the land registry is not unusual.

How do you know that it was not his wife who severed the joint tenancy?

If in your father’s well he left everything to his wife for life with the remainder after her life interest to go to the four children, that is what happens.

She cannot do a deed of variation of your late father’s will to vary his will in respect of anything other than what she has an interest in. Hence, if she has a life interest in your late father’s estate, the only deed of variation she could effect would be in respect of that life interest.

What I strongly suspect is that your understanding is not quite correct and that your father’s will left everything to your stepmother with the wish that she was then to leave everything to the 4 children.

That wish is not enforceable.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice