29905560

My girlfriend is a self employed seemstress who is currently

Hi there. My girlfriend is a self employed seemstress who is currently have huge problems there. Firstly she is working very long hours usually 10-12 a day. She is asked to do things she is not qualified for such as lift heavy equipment and change fuses on plug sockets. they also have threatens that should she leave they will not provide a reference to for her. Can you confirm if there is anything we can legally do with this.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if she has signed an contract/agreement to do this work? Please can you also tell me how long she has been doing this for? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has signed nothing she has no contract. She has worked there for 1 1/2 years.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks Ben. Look forward to your response.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience. In some respects her rights will be somewhat limited due to her employment status as self employed. For example she may not have protection against working hours because the self employed are not regulated in relation to how long they can work. No one can force her to do these hours but at the same time if she does not then her job could be under threat if they are unhappy with that.

The extra things she is being asked to do could come under health and safety issues which every worker would be protected against. So if she is being asked to do things that could expose her to health and safety risks, the employer should take steps to deal with these and reduce the exposure to any potential harm. If they are breaching health and safety rules then they could be reported to the Health and Safety Executive.

As to a reference, sadly there is no obligation on an employer to issue one so they can refuse to do so if they really wanted to. A reference is not a necessity for a new job though and if a new employer requires one then she can always explain why she was not issued with it and that she was basically victimised.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you