29905560

Ebay selling account

Ebay selling account
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Can you please explain your situation in some ore detail?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ebay has restricted my account due to me being linked to someone i don't genuinely know. Ebay wont believe me and said that i cant sell on Ebay until i get in contact with that person to lift his/her account suspension which will automatically lift mine too. But i don't know that person whatso ever so now ebay wont lift my restriction. What are my options?

Hi there sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. Your legal options here would be rather limited and I will explain why. Ebay is a private selling platform. They decide on their user rules and on whom to allow trading on there, or suspend/remove. It is akin to a private market which provides stalls for traders to sell their goods. A trader applies for a stall and can be allowed to sell there. Thy may have their request refused though and that is the market owner’s prerogative. Similarly, they could be allowed to trade, then further down the line be asked to leave. Again, it is their prerogative – it is their property and they can decide who to allow to trade on it. And ebay works in the same way – you are granted permission to trade on there as a seller but ebay has the right to suspend your account if they believe there is suspicious activity. They do not have to prove it, they can make the decision on any grounds they see fit. So any challenge will have to be done directly with ebay as the courts will not have the power to force them to allow you back. The issue is that ebay will be the ones that determine the outcome so you are relying on them. Alternative is to open a new account although I know it means starting to build your reputation from scratch.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you