My son has dropped out of uni after one year as he cannot

My son has dropped out of uni after one year as he cannot cope / live on the student loan. His father was given a job by my father's friend on the understanding that it was to provide for my father's grandchild. We split in 1998 and in that time he has paid £25 a month for one year whilst my son was at college then abruptly stopeed when my son reached 18.
I have been stupid, weak and intimidated and everything i've done, I've done to keep the peace. When the CSA have contacted him in the past, he has claimed he couldn't afford it and made many visits to my house begging me to withdraw my claim which I stupidly did - thinking of him and not my son!
All I really wanted was some support when our son started Uni but he wouldn't even donate £500 toward our son's deposit on a flat.
My ex lives in a £350,000 house and has two daughters with his new wife. As previously mentioned, he has only contributed about 8 months of payments for our son when he was at college. His job(the one my father got him to look after our child!) is safe and guaranteed and he's been there for approx 20 years. However, my son has little prospects / financial stability to look forward to because i gave in when my ex and his new wife came round pleading poverty. I know I'm at fault for not pursuing this through CSA but when my ex and his wife continuously came round asking me to drop the case, I did as they intimidated me and I felt i was causing conflict between our son and his father.
In approx 2002, he stopped seeing his son on a regular basis after I signed a council document confirming that our son styed with his father at least once a week so they could get a 3 bedroomed council house. My son never slept at that house and my ex said he didn't want him just 'showing up' at their house until he'd seen a solicitor and formal arrangements were made. Needless to say, they very quickly sold the council house and bought a brand new semi which, when my son takes birthday cards etc round, my son doesn't even get invited in to!
So basically, even though he is 21 and I can't go through the CSA as they won't deal with back claims, can I get something to help my son's future. He's now looking at a part time electrician's course as he knows he can't afford uni, and could set up his own business in the future if he could get some support. Thanks Jo
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

How much does your ex earn?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure on the exact figure - he won't actually tell me but he's a skilled polisher and blade engineer at an engineering firm that reconditions jet engines and was on £40.000 so should be at least that.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

How much extra a month would your son need to manage at University?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think I'm being misunderstood and can't afford extra phone call fees - my question is: Can I get back dated maintenance because he was given a job to provide for our son but hasn't done so. My son HAS dropped out of uni and is applying for jobs.
But to cover fees etc. I would be looking at at least £350 a month
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

My apologies.

i am afraid that there is no basis on which you can claim any backdated Child maintenance.

However if your son decided to go back to University he could make an application in his own right for maintenance - but only while he is in tertiary education

I appreciate that this was not what you were hoping for but sadly your good will has been badly abused

Please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

I wish I had been able to give you better news