29905560

Is there anyone anywhere can offer advice as to how you can

Customer Question

Is there anyone anywhere can offer advice as to how you can exit from a timeshare agreement. Bought September 2014 .
I am 71-year-old and circumstances have changed, my wife is now bedfast and in a care home .household income as reduced since she went into care home.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Do you have details of the agreement for me to look over please?

I am afraid that the news will not necessarily be good. Disposing of a timeshare or holiday club membership is an extremely difficult process these days, mainly because supply is much greater than demand. The timeshare industry had a huge boom some years ago and everyone was keen on getting involved, only to discover years later that they had signed up to something they rarely used or that they could no longer keep up with the fees.

As timeshare agreements rarely allow for an easy termination, the following are the only realistic options for trying to dispose of a timeshare:

1. Sell to another consumer – this is rather difficult, because as mentioned supply is much greater than demand. I should also mention that there are many scams offering to dispose of a share and you must be very careful not to get involved with anyone that asks you for any fees in advance, whatever reasons they use.

2. Return the ownership to the resort - some resorts offer an exit programme for their members, subject to certain conditions, fees, etc. However, as this varies from one resort to another, you need to check with your own resort to see if this is an option.

3. Walk away from the membership – simply stopping payments and ignoring any further requests for payment. However, this is somewhat risky because some resorts have taken non-paying members to court. Still, not every resort does that so it is worth doing further research to see if yours is a resort that has taken legal action in the past.

4. Claiming misrepresentation or breach of contract - this could make the original contract unenforceable and it could be cancelled now without further liability. For example, if you were promised certain things that have not materialised or the resort has acted in breach of the terms of the agreement you could try and cancel the contract by arguing it is now void due to this. However, that will not always succeed, especially if the alleged breach is not serious enough and you are relying on trivial reasons.

So as you can see there are only a handful of options open to you. There are thousands of other people just like you and unless they find a breakthrough, the majority just continue with their memberships and write this off as a bad decision. I wish I could give you a guaranteed way of exiting, however I’m afraid that simply does not exist and this is evidenced by the large number of other 'victims' of the timeshare industry who are struggling in the same position as you.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.