Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My previous landlord invested some money with me and the

My previous landlord invested some money with me and the investment lost so now he is threatening me to pay him all the money back even through the money was spent on products which were not sold. He is now threatening me to contact the home office to tell them that I did not live at the property to sabotage my application.
I am very scared. what can I do?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much did he lose please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lost amount is £16,000
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

I assume you have evidence you lived at the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have voting forms, bank statements, mobile phone bills, etc. He also lived in the same property (two bedroom flat). But, sometimes I would be at my friends for a few nights away so he is saying as he is the main tenant that he will sabotage my home office application unless I paid him the money back in full although he knows the business lost!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you do not need to worry about this. It does not matter if you stayed a few nights at a friends, if your home was your primary residence that is all that is required.

You should write to your ex Landlord and say he is on notice that unless he gives a promise not to write these lies you will get an injunction.

If he refuses to do so then you can seek an injunction to stop him. You would need to complete forms N1:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf

And N16a:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n16a-eng.pdf
If the Court grants and injunction and he breaks it, this is contempt of Court which he can be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great. I just have a question with regards ***** ***** case, would it not constitute as blackmailing? As he obviously is blackmailing me and being a bully.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No, that would need a risk of personal injury. This person is not just very nice!
Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perfect - thank you so much for your help and advice.