F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

An divorced Irish woman, living in jamaica, makes a false

an divorced Irish woman, living in jamaica, makes a false charge against her ex husband, who is still living in Ireland, that causes him to commit suicide. Can she be charged with anything?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.co.uk.
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Jamaica, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.
At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm astonished at your answer, as it's NOT an answer but a referral suggestion. The question still stands, and I'll simplify it.. if the wife was in the UK... would there be a charge ?
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

We can only answer you based upon United kingdom law. There may be a different provision in Jamaica.

In these circumstances, there are two potential charges. Murder or manslaughter.

The two closest charges are murder and manslaughter although it’s unlikely that the police would prosecute either. To be charged with either, the culprit must be complicit in the death or reckless as to the death but there must be a physical involvement.

There was no physical involvement here, only the emotional involvement and it was the deceased choice to end his own life.

Whilst it would be tragic in these circumstances, the woman would not be prosecuted.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.