29905560

A BT van reversed into my car .They have accepted total

Customer Question

a BT van reversed into my car .They have accepted total blame . My cars value is about £2000 but the repairs are estimated at £3000 .I am waiting for BT to come back and say they will settle with a current value payment .The car was worth much more to us than £2000 and a replacement will cost quite a bit more .What are my rights in this situation ?
Peter *****
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Have you presented them with the cost of the estimate to complete the repair?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

If the car value is only £2000 and the repairs will be more than that then it would be uneconomical to expect them to pay for repairs that will cost more than the value of the car so they cannot be expected to pay for the repairs as that may be deemed unreasonable in the circumstances. Whilst I understand that the car may be worth much more to you than the current value, from a legal point of view that would be irrelevant because the law does not place an amount or sentimental or practical values. As far as the law is concerned, the current market value of the vehicle will be considered against the cost of repairs and if the repairs are going to be unreasonably high when compared to the value of the car, then usually it would be the value of the car what would be compensated.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you can follow if you wanted to take this further in the event they refuse to settle as required, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you