29905560

EARLY THIS YEAR,MY "TALKTALK" ROUTER DEVELOPED A FAULT. I

Customer Question

EARLY THIS YEAR,MY "TALKTALK" ROUTER DEVELOPED A FAULT.
I REPORTED THIS FAULT AND THEY REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING UNLESS I PAID A FURTHER £70 FOR AN ENGINEER VISIT.
I HAD ALREADY PAID THE RENTAL CHARGE FOR THE EQUIPMENT.
I REFUSED TO PAY MORE AND ASKED THEM TO REMOVE THEIR EQUIPMENT.
THEY ARE NOW PURSUING ME FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED POUNDS AND CLAIM TO HAVE DAMAGED MY CREDIT RATING.
MY CONTENTION IS THAT THEY ARE IN PRIOR BREACH AND FURTHER PAYMENT FROM ME IS NOT APPROPRIATE.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Were you in a contract with them at the time the router developed the fault? Please can you also tell me how long ago this was?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THEY ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO CONTACT.AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS I EVENTUALY GOT A PERSON WHO COULD NEARLY SPEAK ENGLISH.I THEN HAD TO GO TO EUROPE AND WHEN I RETURNED NOTHING HAD CHANGED. I RANG AGAIN AND WAS INFORMED THAT I MUST PAY £70 FOR AN ENGINEER VISIT.THIS WAS CLEARLY RIDICULOUS SO I TERMINATED PAYMENT AND TOLD THEM TO REMOVE THE EQUIPMENT.NOTHING HAS HAPPENED AND THEY ARE NOW PURSUING ME FOR A LARGE SUM OF MONEY AND CLAIM TO HAVE MADE A NEGATIVE STRIKE AGAINST MY CREDIT RATING.THIS CANNOT BE LEGAL AND I SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO COMPENSATION FROM THEM.TOTAL DURATION OF DISPUTE IS ABOUT SEVEN MONTHS.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. THANKS

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. If they supplied you with an item as part of their service then they would have responsibilities for that under the Consumer Rights Act to ensure that it is of satisfactory quality, as described and fit for purpose. They should not be charging you for investigating or fixing the fault unless the fault was caused by you. Whilst they may have been able to try and charge for an engineer’s visit, this should have been done on the condition that if the fault was found not to be caused by you, that money would be refunded.

At this stage your options really are as follows:

{C}· Initially you must pursue this internally with the company and follow their complaints process to its full completion

{C}· Once you have done so and assuming that the matter has not been resolved you can go to the regulator, which in this case is Ofcom. The complaints page is here: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/complain/phone-and-broadband-complaints/

{C}· If Ofcom also cannot resolve this matter for you, the final option is court, where you would be seeking compensation for any losses caused. The credit report can only be challenged with the telecoms provider directly or with the credit reporting agency direct.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI BEN,

JUST AFTER WE LAST SPOKE I WAS IN CONTACT WITH TALK TALK AND TOLD THEM TO ACQUAINT ME WITH THEIR COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE.

I AM STILL WAITING.

JOHN

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, you should be able to see their complaints procedure on their website, you can even Google for ‘Talk Talk complaints procedure’. If you have followed that procedure and do not get a satisfactory response or there has been no response for 8 weeks then you can go direct to the Ombudsman