Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Is there any restricrion on the time between an NIP and the

Is there any restricrion on the time between an NIP and the Single Justice Procedure Notice?
For an alleged traffic camera speeding offence on the 2/2/16 I received an NIP, presumably within 2 weeks: it was dated 10/2/16 and I replied on the 26/2/16, confirming that I was the driver. My reply has been stamped as received 29/2/16.
I did not receive the "Single Justice Procedure Notice" for just over 6 months, "Posting Date" 30/8/16".
I know there is a time limit between the offence and the NIP of 2 weeks but is there any restricrion on the time between the NIP and the Single Justice Procedure Notice?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the date of information on the Notice please, does it say?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know what the "date of information" is. There is a witness statement from a "Band F - Camera Processing Caseworker" dated 13/4/16Andrew

Ok. They have 6 months to pass the information to the court from date of offence,

Therefore if the offence took place on 2/2/16 then they have until 1/8/16 to pass the information to the Court.

That is what you need to know. If the date of information passed to the Court was BEFORE 1/8/16 then it is in time.

If it was AFTER 2/8/16 then it is out of time and they can not prosecute you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How can I find out when the information was passed to the court?
Can it be before the "Band F - Camera Processing Caseworker" witness statement dated 13/4/16?

No, its likely to be after that date. That is because the evidence is sent to the Court.

Just call the court and ask, they will have it on file what the 'date of information' is.
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am trying that, noone is answerring the 'phone, have sent an e-mail.Can I get back to you if it turns out its worth contesting this and I need representation?Kind regards,Andrew

Sure. But I cant represent you Andrew as this is a question and answer site.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thankyou, goodbye.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Reply from the court."Good morning,The date of offence is 2.2.16 and the charge was authorised (date of information laid) by Nikki Manson for the Met Police on 26.7.16. Therefore it is within the 6 months' time limit. The Single Justice Procedure notice was sent out on the 30.8.16.Please ensure that you respond within 21 days of the date of posting to ensure that you plea is taken into account.Kind regards,MaurikaAdministrative OfficerHMCTSLavender Hill Magistrates Court & Wimbledon Magistrates Court"Does that leave me any leeway?PS your advice was very helpful, clear cut and to the point, I'll be happy to do your rating ( I have to do 360 surveys every couple of years).