Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

How do I discover if there is a history of legal wrangles

Customer Question

How do I discover if there is a history of legal wrangles relating to a property I am attempting to buy by auction?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was a little worried about the 'Extra Special Conditions of Sale' . I have to pay the seller's legal fees (£675 plus VAT). I don't mind that. I am supposed to have made inquiries 'of all relevant persons and authorities' which seems to imply that the seller need not inform me of any background problems. I am supposed to have 'full knowledge of all matters.' This seems to go beyond the documents supplied by the auctioneer. The seller 'does not warrant that it (sic) has any title to any items or chattels remaining at the lot...' Might there be bills payable to builders etc? Could it mean that he hasn't paid for all the kitchen fittings etc? How I am I supposed to find out?

I will give you a call shortly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have rung the seller's conveyancer as you suggested. The secretary answered and the solicitor has not rung me back as the secretary said she would. I made two more tries unsuccessfully. I see, having viewed the seller's company records at Company House that there is a charge on the property. If I buy the house, am I liable to pay more than the purchase price because of the charge?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The property is advertised as having full title guarantee subject to condition G4.3

The charge should be removed before the purchase is complete. Otherwise you could be liable to get it discharged.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. On the Charges Register it says Durham County Council became the proprietor two years ago. But the seller is different. Shouldn't the seller and the proprietor be the same?

They should. I would speak to you the Council.