Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My partner lives in a housing association estate. Since she

Hi, my partner lives in a housing association estate. Since she moved in approx. 12 years ago she has never received an electricity bill. The company, who's name are on the meter do not exist any more. She did try contacting them around the time she moved in but received no correspondence. She is now growing more concerned about this due to fear of the housing association finding out and evicting her plus any costs that may come. I am guessing that the old elec company was bought up by one of the bigger ones. Should she seek formal legal advice before going to the housing association with this information?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is it a term of her tenancy who pays the electricity bill, do you know please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jamie, I cannot talk on the phone at the moment as I am at work in between meetings. She believes that she should be paying the bill although I have no evidence of this as there has never been a bill and nothing on her tenancy agreement points to the bills being included in her rent.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can check further later on tonight when I see her and check if she can dig out the rent agreement or bills from the housing association for rent. Is there a mechanism for me to respond to this either later tonight or tomorrow?

Ok - if there is nothing in the tenancy agreement then even if no payment is made, your partner can not be evicted for that.

Your partner could only be evicted for breach of the agreement or rent arrears. If none of these happen then there is no risk. Your partner has taken all reasonable steps by attempting to contact the company on the meter without luck.

In any event there is something called backbilling which means your partner, at most, would be responsible for the previous 1 year's use only, nothing more.

So your partner does not need to worry, it does not sound like it would be a breach of the agreement.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That sounds like good news! I will double check all her agreements later to make sure. She does wish to start paying a bill though, would you know who to contact? Should she first go to the housing association as they likely have a provider for the whole block or just go to an energy company to come in and fit their own meter?

Sure. I have no idea who she should contact, as you have tried on the meter. Each flat is likely to have its own supplier as people can change at any time.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that is great thank you. I will check the details tonight and take it from there.
Many thanks for your help!

All the best.