29905560

Myself and my neighbour had our garage roofs replaced and

Customer Question

Myself and my neighbour had our garage roofs replaced and fitted with what we thought a better material. ( a hasty decision ) they were going on holiday I was getting a bathroom and c/heating fitted so didn't check the work enough, anyway day one over I looked out over the roofs and looked fine apart from the centre joint. they went and I checked the quality which was pretty bad. None of the tin roof sheets were attached to anything,all the fixing screws had missed the woodwork and my roof started leaking so I made a temp support. There was asbestos debre all over everything. They had scrapped the neighbours new pavers and covered the drive in broken asbestos smashing it to fit in plastic bags. Like an idiot I rang and told him how bad his work was and not to come back but offering £2000 for what I thought was a recoverable mess. a week now we spoke and I said hand back £ 1500 and we will get someone to put it right ,he said Ill counter and offer £1000 I eventually agreed but no payment has been made. So the roof was on incorrectly and screwed wrong. They were smashing the asbestos on the drive,patio and public path, the joint was a bodge and facias dented. The hard work was done the easy part ( fitting )was a disaster. Some photos and vid taken
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);

· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and

· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).

In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:

1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.

3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you can take to progress this further should no amicable resolution be agreed, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As I have photographs and video and the roofs are still on for all to see this should be a walkover getting a refund plus a council garage roof contractor wont touch them or re roof until they are off the work is that bad. I was busy and stupid in paying without expert surveylance of the site. Every ground he has failed on eg quality, working practice, health and safety the use of expanding foam was a no from day one If anyone saw the work they wouldn't let this crew back on site. His latest text says he has had advice and I agreed the price and will persue the full cost Were do I go now I only have a mobile number a van advert his photo off Facebook and a post code of his premises which is Thornton near Bradford BD13 3LT. WPA on their van Wayne P Allen
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
PS The photos and video shows the asbestos covering the articles inside the garages.
The only fixing screws were screwed to a rotten batten so the neighbour change it. the tin sheets were left unsecure when they left screwed to nothing. There must be an organisation to come and make a judgement ?

In order to resolve any problems that have arisen, it is generally recommended that you follow these steps:

1. Collect all documents relating to the work (e.g. estimate, contract, correspondence, etc.).

2. Contact the trader and explain your problem. Ask them to return to fix the issues and set a reasonable time limit for them to respond (7 days is reasonable).

3. In the meantime find out if the trader is a member of a trade association with a mediation service that can help resolve your complaint.

4. If the matter is still not resolved, write to the trader repeating your complaint and how you would like them to resolve the issues. Say you are giving them a final time limit of 7 days to resolve the problem or you will have to consider taking legal proceedings to recover your losses.

5. If the trader fails to respond or refuses to resolve the problem, you could potentially get a different trader to complete the work and consider suing the original trader for all or part of these extra costs. Remember that court is your last resort, however it can be a good negotiating tool because it shows you are serious about resolving this and may prompt the trader to reconsider their position.

6. Finally, make sure that you send all correspondence by recorded delivery and keep copies.

If you wish to take the matter further and issue legal proceedings, assuming you will just be claiming financial compensation, you may issue your claim via the Court’s online portal at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He text and said he won't Persue the rest of the cost £1400 but not pay back any of the £2000 already paid, I doubt if he is in any trade organisation having a young lad breaking up the old asbestos roofs on patios , drives and public path . Finding his address is proving a problem??

If you are after an address to serve documents or write to him then you can use a personal address (www.192.com can help if you know his name and town of residence), or any other formal correspondence address you know about him. Sometimes you have to be a bit clever abut it and do things you may not normally do, like follow him home (as long as it is only once and not an ongoing thing), or even getting a private investigator - the fees for locating an address would not be too high