13262538

I make regular child maintainance to my ex partner for our 5

I make regular child maintainance to my ex partner for our 5 year old son and have done so consistently. My ex partner has addiction issues and I have been informed by concerned third parties that this money is being spent on supporting her substance abuse. Do I have any legal right to ask for a breakdown of what it is spent on? She recently asked me for an increase to cover extra curricular school activities which I agreed to but again I have my concerns on its actual appropriation.
In addition to the regular payment I also make additional payments to contribute to holiday spending money for example. To date I have never asked for any cost justification but I am now really concerned - please can you advise. Yours faithfully TA Casey
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-What is your gross salary?

-How many nights, on average, does your son stay with you each week?

-Do you have any other children in your care, if so how old?

-What substances is she abusing?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my bets to help you

I am afraid that you have no right to ask your ex to account for the maintenance that you pay her.

You can calculate if you are paying the correct amount using the calculation set out here

http://www.nacsa.co.uk/index.php/cs3-calculations

(essentially 12% of your gross income at most)

However you can ask for her to account for any extra money that you give for specific issues.

If you believe that your ex is abusing drink or drugs and placing your son at risk you may wish to consider whether or not you wish to apply to have the child in your care

Please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.