Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I'm a UK citizen and In 2014/15 I went on a working holiday

Hello there,
I'm a UK citizen and In 2014/15 I went on a working holiday year in Australia. During this time I stupidly picked up a PCA (prescribed concentration of alcohol) conviction and in court I received a delayed 6 month Australian driving ban and a $1200 fine which allowed me to finish my job (I guess the judge liked me). I paid the fine and subsequently moved over to New Zealand where I admitted my conviction but was let on a NZ working holiday visa nonetheless.
I'm planning on visiting the US next year and I'm wondering if I have to declare such conviction when I go. The conviction doesn't seem to have travelled back with me to UK as I have received a clean DBS (disclosure and barring service) certificate, so would there be any way my Australian conviction would track back to me outside of Australia?
Many thanks for your help,
Michael
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello Michael my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

The question on the ESTA is:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offence or crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority; or ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?

You can answer no because you have not. In any event there is no information sharing on convictions so there is no way the US authorities would know about this.

The question on the ESTA is:

The question on the ESTA is:

The question on the ESTA is:

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great thanks, ***** ***** the no information sharing on convictions between countries, I should be okay to travel and work in any overseas country disregarding Australia? Or are there some countries I should be careful about?Thanks
Michael

Correct. You dont need to be worry whatsoever.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great. Thanks for your help Jamie. Have a great day.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.