1. A cheque is valid for six months. So, the issue as to whether the gift is going to be accepted or not has not been reached yet. Additionally, you don't need to ensure, as executor, that a beneficiary accepts a gift. You merely have the job of distributing the estate in accordance with the will. That is where your duty ends.
2. Accordingly, if the cheque is not encashed after the six months, you can then get the solicitor for the estate, to formally write to the beneficiary and see what the attitude is. A personal meeting should also be arranged. At that point the issue of whether the gift will be accepted will be reached. However, be aware that renunciation of a gift requires a positive act. So, not accepting a gift does not mean that the gift fails. So wait and see how things pan out.
3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.
4. You cannot seek to state in a letter that no reply indicates the person does not want the inheritance. That is totally unlawful and breaches every duty owed by the executor to the estate. You simply get the solicitor to write and ask what the position is. You can ask if they renounce their inheritance. But the normal course of events is to simply send a fresh cheque with the letter and ask if they wish to renounce to indicate a desire to do so.
5. There is a two year time limit after which all claims against an estate cease. So, you can use the statute of limitations to end any claim by this beneficiary against the estate. Secondly, it is only if it is a general bequest, such as a share in something that you can take the costs of the solicitor from it. If it is a specific bequest, such as GBP 2,000, you cannot take the solicitor's costs from it.
6. Dear *****, the money goes back into the estate and forms part of the residue of the estate. It is then divided amongst the people who are entitled to the residue.
7. Dear *****, you are welcome. However, would you rate the answer in the other question you asked, please, as this is necessary in order that your Expert gets paid by the website (not by you).
8. Try accepting the answer.
9. Normally, there should be a Button which suggests you Rate the Answer or Accept the Question. You can click on the Question and it should appear. It is normally at the top of the page.