Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was left 2.5% of my mothers estate in the will, After

Customer Question

I was left 2.5% of my mothers estate in the will, After probate, the exectures send me a cheque for the percentage of the probate order of about £3,500, I never accepted the cheque and never cashed it, Now they build house on part of the ground increasing the value considerably, Can i claim a percentage of that
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****, I regret to say that your entitlement to a 2.5% of your mother's estate gives you no rights to any house being built on ground owned by the estate or the other beneficiaries. You are limited to taking the 2.5% of the estate and nothing else. You cannot chose what you are entitled to. So, you should go back and cash the cheque.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. A beneficiary is limited to the interest in the estate to which the will gives him or her. you cannot chose what you want. Nor can you seek to obtain rights in some other property simply by failing to cash a cheque which represents your inheritance.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
satisfied with the answer
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

4. Dear *****, you need to Rate the answer to complete the process on the website. it is not sufficient to merely state you are Satisfied. So, please Rate the answer as this is how the Expert gets paid by the Website. No rating is of no addition.