propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I had two deposits for my tenancy agreement. First was

Dear Sir or Madam
I had two deposits for my tenancy agreement. First was standard 6 week deposit £3,510. Second one £3,510 was placed using an addendum when the contract was extended for further 24 months and it was due to be returned after 12 months, subject to rent being paid on time. The contract was terminated lawfully to finish 12 months earlier. There was no default on any rent payments. I expected that the second deposit was going to be returned to me on the day of 12 moths period ending.
I am now 7 days pass that date and after extensive dispute with the landlords agent, been told that the erliest i get it back is 10 working days from now. I informed the agent that I have finincial dificulties because of the delay and have no money to buy food. I am a single mother with a 7 year old.
I understand that the first deposit is subject to end of the tenancy procedures. However, is there anything i can do to get the second deposit retuned to me quicker?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 10 months ago.

I trust the deposits were protected with a deposit scheme. If so then, the landlord must refund within 10 days (not working days) from the end of the tenancy. So, legally it should be refunded within the next 3 days.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.Below is one of the notes from the agent. Can the agent delay the payment by further 10 days? and does this apply to both of my deposits?"As this is deposit money it fall under the rules of the deposit scheme. From a date of tenancy end the landlord has 10 days. By logical extension your landlord has 10 days from 1 September 2016 to release the agreed fund as expressed in the addendum. This we all agree has happened. From the date of release by the landlord the accounts team has 10 days to process the payment. This does not include bank to bank transfer time."

Why the negative rating?

I would like to help you. I would be happy to continue to assist but would like to know why you left a negative rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dear solicitorApologies for the delay in replying. Negative rating was due to incomplete advice given. I've sent a follow on question and had no reply. Also, according to gov.uk 'At the end of your tenancy
Your landlord must return your deposit within 10 days of you both agreeing how much you’ll get back'So, I felt that the information provided was not sufficient for the payment/fees.Kind regardsVeronika