Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I belong to a private members club in London. If the

I belong to a private members club in London. If the management of the Club breaks its own rules of management, say by suspending the general committee and running it by decree from the CEO, has its contract with me been broken and can I complain?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?
Does the club have its own constitution?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi ***** to meet you.
Yes the Club has a rule book. which serves as a constitution, it says explicitly that the management of the club is entrusted to a general committee of twelve elected members. A the moment the chair of this committee (elected in turn by the 12) has narrowly avoided votes of no confidence and has decided to run the club by not calling the committee meeting., She give orders to the CEO and he takes them ,

Then yes you can complain. The club must be run by its own rules and constitution. If not then any decision taken or made can be considered void.

So what you can do is make a formal complaint. Indeed if it came to it you would be able to seek a Court declaration that the actions taken are void and should be set aside.

For that would you need to complete form N208:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n208-eng.pdf

So yes, you can complain.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much, Jamie-Law.
Could you just clarify for me, that I would be within my rights as a member to point out in the first instance that all actions/decisions taken ---such as on expenditure, hiring and firing --- can be considered in breach of the contract with the membership and challengable.

Correct.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
indeed. very useful.
many thanks.
Pauline

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck Pauline.