Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I did not have employees liability for casual worker, now he

Customer Question

I did not have employees liability for casual worker, now he is suing for personal injury, with no insurance in place what do I do next
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jamie, thanks for response, my husband employed a casual worker who was injured by falling wood, we do not have employers insurance, we understood if there was no work contract and no full time employment, that this was not needed, casual worker was aware of this, but is claiming for personal injuries, don't blame him, but how do we proceed with no insurers to cover this or pass claim to ☹️

Have Solicitors contacted you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
reciev d letter today asking us to forward to our insurers, called them to say we had no insurers to forward it to ��
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

I see. Do you know what the injury is and prognosis?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Broken leg, prob four months to heal, but we feel he may milk it for insurance, and that ultimately he will go after main contractor who does have insurance, but in the meantime we don't know how to respond, or how to find someone to help

Ok - do you dispute that you were negligent?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he was under the forklift where he should not have been, and we think he tripped and reached for the wood which did land on him

Ok - you have 2 choices:

1) Admit and pay out. A 4 month injury would probably be around £3000 plus Solicitor costs which will be limited to about £1000

2) Dispute it. If you do the matter is likely to go to Court. You will then have to instruct a Solicitor to deal with the claim for you. You will have to pay for representation for this matter. If you win then you may be able to recover the costs you have to pay for representation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do I just call call his lawyers and suggest this to them,

Yes.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will his lawyer discuss this with me, or should I do it by writing

Yes the lawyer should. But make sure you follow up everything in writing to keep a record.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does sort of, they are asking for records and details that we don't have

Then you need to say you do not have them.

By the sounds of it you would be better of settling the case. If it went to Court and you had very little in terms of records, this would not assist you.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
who decides what we pay him, his lawyer?

No, if you look on Amazon for the Judicial College Guideline on Personal Injury claims (13th Edition) there are brackets for injuries. These set out guidelines. So it will fall into a bracket.

You may wish to get this for £20 so you can see what you reasonably might have to pay

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guidelines-Assessment-General-Damages-Personal/dp/019875762X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473361594&sr=8-1&keywords=judicial+college+guidelines+13th+edition

Does that help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is what his lawyer is guided by?

Yes it is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You have been helpful, do you know anyone who would do this properly, for us?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is a voluntary pre action protocol claim

Pre action protocol is the period you are in now, notified of a claim.

Sadly I cant recommend anyone but you can find a local personal injury Solicitor here:

http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sadly they all want to be the ones prosecuting, have just read this3.6 Where liability is admitted, the Insurer will be bound by this admission for all Protocol claims with a personal injury value, as laid down in 2.3, of less than £10,000. The exception to this will be when, subsequently, there is evidence that the claim is fraudulent.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does this mean we may have to pay higher amount?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just to clarify, you suggest we admit to it and hope for four thousand pounds hit?

Get the book first of all and satisfy yourself it is within that bracket.

Then it just comes down to negotiation
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unsure if his lawyer will discuss it with us. Do I just ask him how much his client expects ? Thanks

Yes the lawyer will, they are instructed.

Just ask what they are expecting - yes.

But make sure you get the book first.

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.