Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My father is 87 and lost his wife 15 months ago, he was

Customer Question

My father is 87 and lost his wife 15 months ago, he was admitted to hospital 4 weeks ago after a fall, nothing broken. He has severe pain in the leags and since the fall can only move around with a zimmer frame. the Drs were content from a medical perspective for him to leave hospital 3 weeks ago, but the Social workers have been very difficult all the way, since realising my father was not the owner of his property they have insisted he can go home, even though he is clearly inable to live alone.
My father want to go to a care home, but clearly cannot fund it all himself. After arguing repeatedly with the social worker they have allowed him to go to a care home for upto 6 weeks in a step down bed, but are still planning to send him home. How cane we get social to agree to him staying in the care home? does he have any entitlement. He is ex-army fought for this country in Malaya and is an 87 year old Widower.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please continue
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the delay this area of law is a rather unusual one.

The social workers owe your father a duty of care and will be aware of this. The emphasis is to try to allow people to live in their own homes where possible with care being provided by carers visiting the home rather than moving the person to a care home.

I would ask the social workers what care is to be provided which will allow you to decide whether you think it might work and object if you do not.

If you believe they are acting unreasonably you can use the formal council complaints procedure to get the decision reviewed

Your father has no right to insist on being in a care home but it must be done if it is the obvious option.

Best regards

Michael