Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

If a freelance photographer turns up at a running race that

Customer Question

If a freelance photographer turns up at a running race that is held on public roads (be it a small local race or the London Marathon), and takes pictures of runners (aged 17 and over), would that photographer then be allowed to sell those photos on the internet to the runners themselves and/or 3rd parties. To be clear, the freelance photographer has not received any permissions from the race organizers or from the runners themselves.
In terms of precedent there have always been freelance photographers taking pics of celebrities, car crashes, marathons, etc. and selling them to newspapers, online news vendors and TV stations. I assume that THAT is legal. But I wonder if it is the same as what I am describing, or different.
I assume that the legality of such behaviour would depend on jurisdiction. I am immediately interested in the UK, Europe (would all EU countries be the same??) and the US.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Yes this is legal. There is nothing in law stopping someone taking photos and selling them on,

People do it all the time, as you say especially when there are accidents, sell them to papers etc.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your speedy reply.Am I to understand that your reply applies to the UK? Are you able to provide an opinion on the US and other EU countries?Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie,I was hoping for a follow up comment in response to my question: "Am I to understand that your reply applies to the UK? Are you able to provide an opinion on the US and other EU countries?"Thanks,Jon
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon, yes this applies to UK. I cant say about US or EU as I am a UK Solicitor.