F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Under the theft act can a person who a fellow shareholder in

Customer Question

Under the theft act can a person who a fellow shareholder in company that owns land over which all shareholders are entitled to quiet enjoyment . Instruct somebody from outside the company To alter that land without the consent of one shareholders also having been told by that shareholder his opposition to what was proposed. Be guilty of criminal damage ?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

The theft act doesn’t apply here. You cannot steal land.

It’s not criminal damage if the person doing the “damage” reasonably believed that they had the authority to do what they wanted even if another shareholder objected. The police would say that this is a civil matter.