Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I would like to share the ownership of my house with my

Customer Question

Hi I would like to share the ownership of my house with my partner who I have lived with for the past 6 years. The current mortgage is in my sole name with £120K outstanding. The property is worth around £250K. We cannot remortgage due to me having an IVA previously which has since been settled but still goes against me. My partners credit rating is also affected by her husband. They are currently going through divorce proceedings. My partner wishes to give to me £30K for a 33.3% share in the house and we as we have three children between us then we propose that our wills would be written to leave 33.3% each to my two children and 33.3% to my partners daughter. It would also be written into the will that should either one of us die then the insurance cover we both have would be used to pay off the mortgage and the surviving partner will live in the house until death and then the children would receive their 33.3% share. How easy is this to do? Very unromantic I know but would it just be easier to get married?
Please advise
Kind Regards
Gary
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 6 months ago.

I am afraid you may stumble at the first huddle, in so far as you will need to obtain your Mortgage Lender's consent before the Deeds can be transferred into your joint names (your Mortgage Lender will also require your partner to be added on to the Mortgage). You are best therefore to speak to your Lender first of all.

Subject to the above, it is pretty easy doing the rest of what you want to achieve. Upon adding your partner's name to the Deeds, you can agree that you own 2/3 and our partner 1/3. You both should then make a Will, leaving your respective shares to your children, but adding a proviso that the remaining party is entitled to remain living in the property for however long they want/until they die. This is pretty standard stuff for a Wills Solicitor to do.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Just spoken to my Lender Santander and they tell me it would be up to me to get a solicitors to draw up the necessary paper work?? They are not overly concerned that she goes on the mortgage.
Kind Regards
Gary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They have just come back to me to say that they would insist on her going onto the mortgage and that this would show as 50/50 as far as they are concerned???

Hi Gary,

That's good news.

You still have to officially apply and ask Santander for what is called a "Transfer of equity form". Once Santander have approved the application, you would then need to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor to prepare the Land Registry Transfer document, which will transfer the Deeds into your joint names. As far as Santander are concerned, both of you will own the property jointly and both of you are jointly liable on the Mortgage, however your Solicitor will make sure that the Transfer shows that you own a 2/3 share and your partner a 1/3 share (Santander will NOT be concerned/need to be notified on how you both hold the property). The Solicitors you use will normally also have a Wills department, and you can ask their specialist to deal with your Wills also.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Perfect thank you :)
Do you have an estimate as to how much that might all cost to do?
Kind Regards
Gary

Hi Gary,

Your Conveyancing Solicitor is likely to charge around £350 plus VAT, and there will also be a Land Registry fee of approx. £40.

As regards ***** ***** these are likely to cost approx. £350-400 plus VAT.

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer, so I can get credited for my time.

Good luck!

Al

Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Santander have refused to give us a joint mortgage based upon the fact that I have a flag on my account. I have a settled IVA but unfortunately it doesn't clear my credit file until March 2017. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Gary

Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear that.

You could get a local Solicitor to draw up a Trust Deed to say that although you are the sole legal owner, that you hold a third of the property upon trust for your Partner. This would give your partner some comfort, but as you would still be the sole legal owner, you would have to make sure that you also prepare a Will leaving the one third share to her. From your partner's point of view, as her name would not be on the Deeds, she can't "leave this one third to her children" so it would be best for your Will to say that you leave the one third to her, but if she has died before you, then this share should pass to her daughter.

You can of course review matters in the future once your IVA is no longer an issue for Santander.

Kind Regards

Al