Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Im in a debate weather to pay this bloke or not as he is

Im in a debate weather to pay this bloke or not as he is threatening court action against me I know am seeking advice what to do.
This guy told me he was a bookmaker and would take my bets over whattsapp messenger. No signed contracted or anything witch I thought was strange. He set me a limit of £3000.
I was putting bets on with him and before I knew it I was £10k in debt with him.
I've paid 2k off and then he threatened court action for the rest as I can't afford to pay it all off yet.
After I've done some digging, he hasn't got a licence off the gambling commission to be doing what he's doing so it's illegal.!
So have I still go to pay this guy because he isn't legit to be doing what he's doing and let me run up a figure of £10000 after he set my limit of £3000?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What would you like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to pay the man as he's not legit? And irresponsibily lending towards me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he takes me to court has he got a chance of winning? Due to not being legit with the correct licences and irresponsible lending. Or am I in the wrong for not paying him?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No. You do not have to pay if he is not licenced.

Therefore if you refuse all this person can do is take the matter to Court. If the value is £10,000 or less then it would be a small claim so if you lose, then you do not have to pay expensive legal or Solicitor fees.

But based on what you have said, I think you have a good chance of defending this. Indeed at the very most the limit should be £3,000 even if you are found liable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even with proof of the messages on whattsapp he shouldn't be able to win as he's not got the right licences to be giving people credit.
Just panicking that's all about benign taken to court as you can imagine.
I have the message of him stating I have a £3000 limit so that's safe.
as I was putting me bets on with him direct will it still be in my favour that he uses other people money to put on these bets? That's nothing to do with me is it..
The people he's lent £1000's off are taking legal action against him that's why he's taking legal action against me you see.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Correct. I do not think he has a claim.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does thank you, ***** *****'t pay the £8000 reminding and if I go to court I should be ok?
What's steps do I take now? Do I ignore his solicitor or respond with the info I have on him?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Correct. You do not need to do anything else now.

I would write back and set out your position in terms of him being unlicenced and your £3000 limit

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you ever so much x
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance!