13262538

My health visitor keeps coming out to my home unannounced.

My health visitor keeps coming out to my home unannounced. She arrived out when my living room was a mess with toys, books, baby bottles and kids clothes lying around. She wasn't accepting that that morning I was busy doing messages and just home and the crumbs on the floor was from lunch that afternoon. I didn't have a chance to tidy as my 4 month baby needed settled for her nap. My health visitor told me I needed help as I was unable to cope. The next time she came unannounced to my home, it was my personal hygiene that was questioned as one of the nurses at the doctors surgery said I had a body odour problem when I was in for the baby's injections. I did have a sweating problem and washed the day of the appointment but couldn't use deodorant as I was breastfeeding at that time. I agreed to see a sure start professional as I felt bullied into it. The sure start lady visited, didn't see a need for her services as everything showed 2 healthy happy kids and well cared for. On Monday, I came home after doing messages and my health visitor and the sure start lady were parked outside my house, again no appointment.
My partner was with me and this time it was health and safety that was the issue as well as I wasn't coping. I wouldn't agree to sign a statement saying I needed help coping and it was my health visitor saying the doctor at my 8 week check said my baby was unclean. The doctor that said this and noted it in my baby's file has never seen my baby as it was a junior doctor who saw the baby who had a bath and clean freshly washed clothes.
I need to get the negative notes off my baby's medical notes, the notes that I'm not coping and my health visitor to stop arriving out. Is there anything legally I can do
Sara
My little boy is 7 and my little girl is 5 months. I am 39 years old.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What was the Health and Issue meant to be?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
General untidiness and clutter. Crumbs on the floor.
I tried explaining I'm a messy person and didn't get a chance to tidy. Baby Lucy is doing well, vaccinations are up to date and no health problems. The house is tidier and even the last time she arrived out, she said the house was acceptable, but I still in her opinion was unable to cope. I'm changing doctors surgeries in the hope I don't have to deal with her again, but I don't want anything negative on Baby Lucy's file that will follow her until she's 18.
The issue at the moment is my 7 year old needs more socialising (Drew is a popular little boy who plays with the neighbourhood kids and lots of friends at school.) Lucy needs a structured routine, which she has and home safety needs looked at. When she starts crawling, the stair gates, childproof locks will be used.
Tried to explain this to the health visitor but she wasn't hearing me and on her last visit, I had to send my 7 year old out of the house as the health visitor, the sure start lady and my partner were getting argumentitive ( mainly the "health professionals") I just feel bullied and it's her way, doesn't matter that I'm the mother and both kids are healthy and happy.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any similar problems when your son was young?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problems, even though he was born at 36 weeks, it was a different health visitor with Drew and the home had clutter such as toys and clothes sitting around. I had a stillborn baby boy 3 years ago, but the health visitor claimed she didn't know about that.
I've had an easier time with Lucy than Drew as its second baby and I know what I'm doing.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

When the Sure Start worker came for the first time she said all was well - what explanation did she give for her change of mind on her second visit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A schedule worked out for Lucy, home health and safety and socialising for Drew. It would be 2 hourly visits a week for 6 weeks then that would be reviewed to see how things where. The sure start lady said herself she didn't understand why she was needed, on the second visit with the health visitor there were things that needed looked at
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What evidence did they create for the "socialising"

Is it the sure start worker who will visit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The visits that the health visitor has called out, Drew has been at home playing with his toys or my phone. I don't know any other reasons. He went through the sure start program for 2 and 3 year olds and went to playgroup.Most likely going to be the sure start lady coming out.I'm sending you the page of notes the sure start lady made while here last week and I refused to sign.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I read that as two visits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First visit she came by herself and satisfied with everything.
Second visit she came with the health visitor and said about Drew, health and safety, schedule for Lucy.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Sorry - i mean on the form - what happens next - two visits and then a review?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the plan, if I sign the form which I haven't as my view hasn't changed. I don't want or need help. Both Lucy and Drew are healthy, happy kids and most of the time the house has clutter but the health visitor isn't hearing anything except her professional opinion.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

The question is how much hassle you want to have at this stage?

Do you want it over sooner rather than later?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want it over now. Because of this health visitor, I am going to have to move doctor surgeries to another surgery. Before getting pregnant I had hyperthyroidism which is normal at the moment but I still need bloods done every 2 months with the results sent to the hospital. My bloods aren't normal for most people but they are for me and it took a while for the doctors I'm currently with to stop phoning me if the blood results come back flagged on their computers.
It's just a pain moving but I don't see an alternative and I don't want to keep dreading the health visitor coming round and basically telling me I'm a bad parent, I can't cope and I need help. I have my partner to have Lucy for a couple of hours so I can do housework and Drews back at school which makes it easier. If I felt I needed help this wouldn't be an issue.
A friend suggested putting a complaint in about her, that way she can't come to the house.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I utterly agree you do not need the hassle.

On the basis that it needs to be over sooner rather than later agree to the visits from the Sure Start worker who is clearly aware that it is a waste of her time - and is aiming to sign you off as soon as possible.

She will see that your son has school friends (a letter from school confirming they have no concerns might assist) and may help you find ways of being less tired when coping with a baby a 7 year old and being 39 (although if she does she is clearly in line for a prize)

It will never be removed from the record - but it will then be seen as an unnecessary intervention by an over zealous Health visitor - and yes do put a complaint in

I know this is not what you want - and if you were up for the hassle there are ways you oculd fight it - but it would still be on the record even then

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I put a complaint in about the health today and switch dr surgery with a new health visitor, would that put a stop to my current health visitor coming to the house whenever she feels like it.The day they came round, Drews friends called for him and he was out playing while they were at the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My 2 poor kids
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Oh wow they look sooooooo neglected!

Be patient with Sure Start and this will soon be behind you