Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am an executor along with my brother to my fathers estate,

Customer Question

I am an executor along with my brother to my fathers estate, we have two sisters who wish us to to do a DIY service for the estate so the coast will not be high, I wish to employ the use of a solicitor to complete all of the process my brother would more than likely like to do a bit of both. Im worried about being pressured into doing a DIY service and taking on legal matters that im not really about, so my question is can i ask a solicitor to take on my responsibilities on my behalf and would i have to pay them myself or would it come out of the estate.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear Bernadette, firstly, any legal expenses incurred in the administration of the estate of your late father will come out of the monies belonging to the estate. You won't be forced to pay them. It is a decision which the executors can make, to employ a solicitor. In fact, i would suggest you do so and agree fees in advance, particularly if you don't feel certain about what to do.

2. Be aware that it is a decision solely for the two executors whether to employ a solicitor or not. Your other two sisters who are not executors have no right to be included in any decision made on this issue. So, this is something you must decide with your brother, the other executor.

3. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.