propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.

I rented for 1 year. the property had burned and dirty

Customer Question

I rented for 1 year. the property had burned and dirty carpets. the agent are now wanting me to pay for one of their professional cleaners. they have taken photos of mildew nets and curtains that I took down and stored in the airing cuboard because they were dirty.
also the fridge that was theirs was rusty and had a bit of kitchen paper holding the freezing compartment door closed. after 2 weeks of them not sorting it out and food being binned i bought a took 6 months for them to agree to paying for the one I had bought brand new, and returning to collect the broken one. Also the property had no smoke detectors/carbon dioxide machines. I asked about it in the january, they got a quote for works in the february and i had to chase them until the may. there are other issues is there anything that can be done
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 month ago.

What are you seeking to claim/avoid paying exactly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to know if it's worthwhile claiming against them for the fridge and the lack of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors

You can only claim if you have suffered any loss.

For the lack of detectors, whilst it is an obligation of the landlord to comply with the regulations, it will be difficult to establish any loss.

Has the landlord paid you in full for the fridge?

What about the cleaning? Was an inventory undertaken at the start of the tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when i visited the property i told the agent the carpets were dirty and had iron marks on them. they told me that the landlord would not replace them. and that they has been cleaned some time ago. they were not cleaned before i took the tenancy (my relative carries out the decorating and he said that the carpets were only hoovered.) the tenancy agreement stipulates that i have the carpets cleaned by a professional cleaner and to supply the receipt because I have a cat. the agent are pointing out marks on the carpet that were there prior to my taking the tenancy. they have also highlighted mouldy net curtains and marked curtains. these were removed and stored in the airing cuboard, as I am sensitive to mould i hung my own new nets and curtains up. I'm pretty sure that nothing can be done.

Under the contract you will have to get the carpets cleaned, you have agreed to this.

If there is no inventory it is difficult to prove the condition of the net curtains.

Has the landlord registered your deposit with a tenancy deposit scheme?

Any questions or queries?

Happy to assist further.