Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Ash, If someone set up an instant messenger profile with a

Customer Question

Hi Ash,
If someone set up an instant messenger profile with a fictitious name, but uses a profile picture from someone else's profile, has any crime been committed? There has been no attempt to impersonate the person in the photograph, and no attempts to get financial information or anything else from the people that were being contacted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies, I pressed the live call button in error, please provide advice online as originally requested. Thank you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What was the purpose someone did this please? The reasoning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason was just to chat with people, without giving out any of their own personal details, there was no intention to get any details from anyone else, or about the person shown in the picture.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to confirm from the telephone call, there are no legal issues in relation to this? And all of this is anonymous?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Correct and yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no offence generally in using someone's picture, unless it is to commit a fraud or another offence? And it also wouldn't be considered defamation in any way?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there's definitely no way the police would investigate in this case, and try to track down the person who set the profile up by contacting the messenger company?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

That's right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to clarify finally:1) Using someone's photo online, but not pretending to do them is not an offence on its own?
2) Chatting to people under this identity is not an offence? The people involved are all over 18.
3) This is not defamation, so there is n way it could be pursued as such in court?
4) The police would not investigate or to try to trace the person as there is no offence, and they could not make an arrest?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Number 1 should say "not pretending to be them"
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

1) Correct

2) Correct

3) Correct

4) They might investigate but no offence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I've lost a lot of sleep.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Sure.