Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a wheelchair adapted council property. (I am not

I have a wheelchair adapted council property. (I am not currently in a wheelchair) They have replaced all Windows and doors and the French doors now have a threshold. This is dispite attending every consultation meeting meeting with surveyors etc and being told it would be replaced like for like with no threshold - they now want to add ramps? Can I get them to install
No threshold doors I trip v easily and a ramp will not be good
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rent a council property which was adapted for wheelchair use as I was in a wheelchair when I moved in. The council are doing window/door replacements. I have met with council and contractors and all agreed would be like for like no threshold French doors.The French doors that are fitted have a threshold and they are stating they cannot do without a threshold. They are saying the will ramp inside/outside to take away the threshold which leaves me with a tripping hazard. I want them to replace as promised/ discussed and put in no threshold French doors not a ramp. Do I have any options to get them to replace like for like ? Basically they have lied at every stage confirming that it will be no threshold doors and are now doing what I expect they always were going to do which is put in ramps
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok - have you spoke to the Council? What do they say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the moment that the contractors cannot do no threshold doors - I have suggested they get them
To contract someone else to get them.. The glazer who fitted said they are available - although perhaps not from the company used. Council are saying looking into it - coming next week will possibly with occupational therapist to look at ramp options
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok - you need to speak with the Council. See what they say. If they do not resolve it then you should write to the Chief Officer of the Council. That department will investigate the complaint.

If that does not resolve it then you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint for free at: www.lgo.org.uk

That should get things changed for you. Also you should contact your local Councillor. They are elected by you and as such should be able to help with local issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they are going to ramp inside and outside so there is access are they meeting the legal requirements of accessibility ? Even though they are not doing what they said?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Exactly. They should be doing what they said. They are not and you should not let them get away with all these lies and deceit.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!