12826847

This is a copy of an email i sent to Plymouth citybus on

Customer Question

This is a copy of an email i sent to Plymouth citybus on 24-08-16
Hello Richard and Sarah.
My name is*****(23-08 2016) i boarded the number 61 bus at 1700 and requested a ticket for Honicknowle green, putting £2.20 in the tray. The driver told me £2.35, at which i produced another 16 pence and was duly given my ticket. When i asked the driver for my change. he replied " we don't carry pennies". I then requested that if that where the case then would he please return to me one of the two pence pieces."Only if you return your ticket and leave the bus" was his answer.
I have lived abroad for some years, but i think that i can say with some certainty that taxation is a monopoly held by HM Revenue and Customs and has not been extended to transport companies (please correct me if i am wrong)..
I duly retrieved my money and left the bus.
I walked off my indignation so that nobody else would have to suffer because of this crassness and caught a taxi to my destination costing me £6.50 (i have the receipt). i intend to take this situation as far as necessary until i am satisfied that you will treat this matter with the seriousness warranted.
Sincerely ***** *****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

So, in short, he didn't have a penny in change?

What are you hoping to do about this? You recovered your money I suppose?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did but because i wasnt prepared to lose a penny to a company on principal. i believe that if somebody charging you does not have change then he should have let me pay £2.34 and let the company lose the penny not the customer.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Yes, I understand.

But what is the loss? You recovered your money?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
had to get a taxi to reach my destination on time.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

OK.

But what is the loss?

What are you hoping to do about this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i would like to know if i can claim the taxi fare back from the bus company
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

No, I'm afraid not.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

They are not under an obligation to contract with you.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Anybody can refuse to enter a contract with anybody unless they do so for reasons that would offend against the Equality Act.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Come what may, they returned your money when you asked them to do so and therefore the contract that you had was void.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Even if that did amount to a breach though the fact that you choose to get a taxi is too remote from the loss.

I'm very sorry

Of course, if you complain they may well offer something in the interests of good business though.