Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

How can a caravan be on farmland if occupants are working on

Customer Question

how long can a caravan be on farmland if occupants are working on thw land? What are planning requirements if any?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My council say I must apply for planning permission. There is much work to be done which make take years rather than months. The planning fees are high and we are OAPs who need this help. We are worried in case permission is refused in which case we have the expense of application and the prospect of losing everything if the workers are not able to remain.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. Dear *****, there would normally be a period of 6-12 months before a caravan located in the same spot no longer was a temporary structure not needing planning permission and became a permanent structure which needed planning permission. However, the need for planning permission would occur before this period if electricity or water was connected to the caravan so the structure acquired a permanancy.

2. However, be aware that any caravan housing workers on land is an ancilliary agricultural use for which there is rarely, if ever, a refusal. This is because there is clear policy in relation to land that workers and persons farming the land should be able to live on it to provide the necessary labour. So, your prospects of getting refused planning permission are very low. I would be very surprised if you got refused.

3. However, you should liaise with the planning officials from the Council and see what the criteria are for them to grant planning permission. They will have certain strict criteria which have to be fulfilled before they will grant a residential planning use, such as what is going to happen to waste effluent and waste run off. So you need to fulfill these.

4. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will not get paid for answering your question.