12826847

I am a locum doctor - how do I set up a company and take

Customer Question

HiI am a locum doctor - how do I set up a company and take dividends out of it as salary?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You can set up a company by buying an off the shelf company from a company formation agent. It should cost you under GBP100 to do this. However, the route you are suggesting could result in your being taxed twice as dividends are not allowable against Corporation Tax (CT) in the company. Your earnings through the company will be taxed under the CT regime at 20%. The first 5K of dividends are tax free in your hands, you can read all about this system which came into effect on 6 April 2016 here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dividend-allowance-factsheet/dividend-allowance-factsheet

Frankly, this game is simply not worth the candle.

I an so sorry to have to rain on your parade.