12826847

I have found a golden ring (not expensive) about 2 months

I have found a golden ring (not expensive) about 2 months ago and I have not reported that to the police. They contacted me and I handed in the ring to them. Is not reporting the found item an offence and what charge may I expect?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Where did you find it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
at the airport
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jo, do you prefer a call?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

No, not really.

Where at the airport?

In what capacity?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Manchester airport, cheking area, the ring was in an empty tray
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Why didn't you hand it in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I wanted to hand it to the lady, who was in front of me for checking. When I found the ring she was left. I hoped I would find her when I go out from the cheking area, but was not able to.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Failing to report it is not the offence per se. The issue is that you collected it at all. That is assuming the rights of the owner which is the basis of theft.

There is a defence that arises where property was abandoned but you are supposed to take reasonable steps to return it to the owner and that cannot really be said to have happened here.

It might be that they cannot identify it or prove that it was you but if all goes their way then this would amount to theft.

Sorry but I can only give you truthful information.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the police visited my home, having video records. I admitted I have taken the ring and i handed it in to them. My offence was that I have not reported that. What the charge would be?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Theft but not for not reporting it.

It is for the removal of it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what could follow, will they sue me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Is this a wedding ring?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no, but police said it had santimental value to the owner
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had no idea, for me it was a cheap ring, with no value
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

if it has sentimental value then they will prosecute this I'm afraid.

If is a wedding ring then this is a very serious.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what could I expect as a prosecution?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what the penalty could be?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

I've just dealt with a theft of a wedding and engagement ring and he got three months even on a first offence I'm afraid.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** no more questions.