Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Ln 2013 l agreed to purchase a 1935 Singer Race Car for

Hello, ln 2013 l agreed to purchase a 1935 Singer Race Car for £80,000, payment by installments.these were made mostly by bank transfer until October 2014 when the vendor made a proposal. If l made a final payment of £10,000 he would write off the remaining few thousand pounds still owing and that would conclude the deal. I agreed to this and within a few days paid him the £10,000. I have copies of his text messages and my bank statements to prove the arrangement.
In July 2015 he asked me if l could loan him £1000 which l did. I have his texts and my bank statement as proof.
The vendor, now a friend, unfortunately died in April this year. His female partner/widow has written demanding l provide proof of all payments to account for the original £80,000.
she was never involved in my purchase of the car.ln light of my evidence what rights if any does she have ?
Now his brother has also written to me saying the Singer was half his, sold without his agreement or involvement. Does he have any claim against me or does he need to claim his half of the sale price off his late brother's estate. ?
Kind Regards, *****
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello Martyn my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Has his brother provided any evidence of this at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Jamie.thanks for your reply. as far as l know there is no written evidence to any agreement regarding the car. In his letter he has told me his brother Wayne paid £38,000 for the car and he John later gave him half the money..John says he paid for some repairs to the body, while Wayne paid for another new body to build a replica car.the car was purchased by them in 2006 l think.

Ok, then you dont need to worry. His issue is between him and his brother. Nothing to do with you.

If it was agreed that you didnt have to pay the whole £80,000 then this is legally binding.
That means the balance can NOT now be claimed and indeed certainly not the half brother is saying is owing.

There is no evidence. If there was then it may be an issue, but unless there is any evidence then there is no claim

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. brother John may be able to come up with some evidence of amounts he paid towards the project. but am l right in thinking his claim would have been against his brother, now deceased and so his estate and nothing to do with me. should he not be able to claim half of what l paid his brother from the estate ?

Correct.
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Incidentally. brother John is not saying half is owing on the car. rather he is claiming he owned half of it .

Well in that case nothing to do with you. its been him and the estate

Does that help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Jamie. l suppose the brother can mount a claim but hopefully he will be advised against it. ?..
I need to put the widow straight.am l right in thinking she has no rights in the matter ?

No rights, correct

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks Jamie. I will tell them the position and see what the responsibility see what their response is.
Martyn