How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70180
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My daughter is 15 and has got into trouble with have a small

Resolved Question:

My daughter is 15 and has got into trouble with have a small personal amount of cannibals on her under a gram. She has to have a police interview about it and I am worried about her getting a record. Is she allowed to say no comment if she does not want to answer a question? We live in Jersey. What advice can you give us regarding what to do in the interview as preparation?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

is this for personal use?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was for personal use. She had been experiencing panic attacks and anxiety and the day it happened had an argument with my husband and left the house upset. She was on her way home getting a lift home from a friend when the police stopped the car they were in.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Are you asking what sentence she will face?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I am asking what should she say in the interview?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

She can only either tell the truth or say nothing in the course of a criminal investigation.

Those are the only two options.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Generally speaking if you cannot deny an offence then you should be making a no comment interview.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

With possession of cannabis though a caution is sometimes available if this is a matter for personal use. It depends whether she is prepared to accept that.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would it be helpful for me to say to the Police officer that she went through a lot at school with friendship issues, not getting on with her Dad and anxiety which led her to seek a release from the pressures of life? Would this help her case for them to see she is not a bad kid but just was struggling with life issues.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Not really. In fact, it would probably sound as though you are making excuses and the police don't like that generally.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay-they have assigned her a social worker so maybe the social worker can help her with that. Just to finally clarify did you mean when you said " It depends if she is prepared to accept that" that if she admits to it they may just give her a written warning? She has already admitted to it because they asked her when they searched her if she had any in her procession and she was honest and handed it over to them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

If she has admitted possession already then she may as well take the caution.

The evidence will be sufficient to convict.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for answering my questions. It has really helped me. I will rate you so that it releases the payment.