Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am about to rent a house I have been told that I have to

I am about to rent a house I have been told that I have to sign an agreement for the first year and then after that I can ask for a month or two month notice to be included is this true.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. If your 12 month tenancy agreement ends then you will automatically be on a statutory periodic tenancy. This means if your rent is monthly then your tenancy will be a rolling monthly tenancy and if it is weekly it will be a rolling weekly tenancy. For statutory periodic tenancies, you need to give a minimof 1 month notice and the landlord must give a minimum of 2 months notice to end the tenancy.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply but what I want to know is do I have to sign for a year without any notice on my first agreement
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

The 12 month tenancy would be a fixed period and it is usually that both you and the landlord would be unable to end the tenancy during the fixed-term

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You that has answered my question clearly
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris