Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Please would you be able to advise me

Good day,
Please would you be able to advise me
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help you.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello JamieIts a traffic fine question. The car is in my name. My partner drives the car. We have moved property and my partner got a speedy fine on 8th August, by the time we collected our post it was over the 28days.I have only just changed the log book, still waiting to arrive in the post with the new address.I was so upset and absent minded, and panicked i just filled in the drivers details (my partners name but with the old address) because I just wanted the fine to come so that we can appeal, due to the log book not been changed.Unfortunately the tenants have gone abroad and we can't get old of the new fine in his name.I called the police this morning, she wasn't very happy for obvious reasons, and demanded to know why I didn't put the new address.It was an honest mistake on my part, and now they want me to write to them requesting the fine to be sent to the this new address and an explanation.We could wait until the tenants get back, but they won't reply when they will be.I am in a state because I don't know what the legal implication is on my and my partner (the poor man is innocent of my stupidity.)If I write to them, will there by any issues, and can we still appeal?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it a criminal offence that I put the wrong address?

Do you put the wrong address on purpose?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no it was an honest mistake
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry am I going to get a reply?

Yes I am just considering my reply

I would just write to the Ticket Unit and give your correct address. You clearly has to make sure that the reply was sent in due time under S,172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, which you have done.

If you were just absent minded and it was a mistake then nothing will come of it.

The Police will just update their records. But you should correct this as soon as possible.

Your legal obligation is to nominate the driver which you have done, you just now need to correct an error

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Apologies, I am just anxious about this situation.Do I need to write to them to their physical address or would an email suffice in this situation?Also, please would you be to confirm if I need to say something like"Please may I request the speeding fine which is in my partners name, be sent to the our new address. It was an honest mistake which I had done by filling in the old address. I haven't intentionally perverted the course of justice, otherwise I would not be applying for a new fine to be sent. We would like to appeal this fine, due to the logbook not been changed in time, and pay whatever fine is required."

I would do both.

I would not mention perverted the course of justice. I would just say it has come to my attention I gave you the address we moved out of a short while ago.

Please find the correct address.

You can't appeal the fine, as you have nominated someone else. Only that person can contest the fine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry I forgot to write "it was an honest mistake and in my absent mindedness I filled in the old address"

My response remains above! Thanks Jamie.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your time today

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!