Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A few month ago now i was in a car accident, my boyfriend

Customer Question

A few month ago now i was in a car accident, my boyfriend was driving and i was in the passengers seat. We were hit by a French coach. A company called sgi were very forceful with me making my claim for whiplash as i was in two minds wether to or not, they assured me it would be easy they do all the work and if they did not win the case there would be no fee. Before agreeing to go through with this i made sure multiple times that it would never come down to effecting my boyfriends insurance and every time i was assured this would never happen by two different people. A man called Mark took on my case as to begin with the French driver refused to admit it was him after supplying all my evidence and pictures they got through to him, however now Mark is saying that they may have to claim off of my boyfriends insurance i said to him that you assured me this would never happen, he said he will deal with it the least painful way possible. This has made me very worried. So i have tried to call him left voice mails and sent emails and i am now hearing nothing back. Is it possible that they can claim off of my boyfriends insurance? I hope this makes sense to you and i apologize for my spelling.
Many Thanks,
Taylor.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello Taylor my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve or know about this please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just wanted to know if they actually can claim off of my boyfriends insurance for my whip lash as they told me it would never come down to that, as the accident was the other vehicles fault. I am now worried as he will not reply to any of my emails or calls about the situation.

Yes they can. If you were injured either the French lorry driver or your boyfriend is liable. It can only be one or the other.

But you are entitled to stop your claim at any time. That is your right

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hes told me if i stop the claim there will be a fee for me to pay. Right from the start they assured my it would never come down to claiming off of his insurance because i made it clear i would not go through with making the claim. If they claim off my boyfriends insurance that is not winning the case to me?

You need to check any agreement. You also need to make clear that they said you would not claim off his insurance and that was the basis of your agreement.

You can complain to the Legal Ombudsman at: http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was a verbal agreement over the phone. I will have a look on that website thank you.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!