How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9196
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I was my mothers power of attorney, she left no will and

Customer Question

I was my mothers power of attorney, she left no will and after her death paid all her funeral expenses and other bills from her bank account not realising that power of attorney ceased when she died, when the bank realised what I was doing they took the card from me, that was about 2 months ago, their is not a lot of money under £5000, my father is dead and I was an only child, what do I do now bank has not been in touch with me.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Normally, in order to deal with the money, all the bank would need would be a copy of the death certificate and they would then ask you to sign a statutory declaration that you are entitled to deal with the money and would distribute it either in accordance with any will or the rules of intestacy.

If you presented the death certificate and the funeral account to the bank, they would normally pay the funeral account direct in any event.

You haven’t actually done anything criminal with regard to paying the bills, you just haven’t followed the correct procedure.

Tell the bank that you need to close this account and that you are the person’s entitled to deal with the estate, that the total amount of the estate is what is in the bank and that there is no house or property and hence, probate will not be needed. They can then give you the appropriate form.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails. Best wishes.


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you for the advice, I signed a form when they took back the card, put a copy of the death certificate to them, told me someone would be in touch and the money would eventually come to me, was just wondering how long to wait for them to do this as no one has been in touch with me.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Did you have to sign the form in front of a solicitor? If not, then it’s probably a different form and you would need to contact the bank again. Normally, once they have the correct form, they should release the money to you immediately or after a very short time period

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do I have to get in touch with my own solicitor or go back to the bank first
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

You get the form from the bank is usually in the form of a statutory declaration

You complete it (sometimes the bank will complete it for you) and then your signature needs to be witnessed by a solicitor and the form sworn on oath.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice