F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.

I got a parking ticket from UKPS indicating that I parked

I got a parking ticket from UKPS indicating that I parked without a valid permit on display.
and from which area I was parked. Now this area is gated behind some business shops of which NatWest is
one of them. I have been parking here for the last four years as I am a NatWest customer. Of late I go to the bank almost twice a week for the last couple of months. I use the pay in machines and am out. On 01/09/2016 I did so as usual and I was in a rush when I arrived where I was going is when I realised I had a ticket stuck on my screen. I was shocked to see where it was issued and thought it was a mistake. The walls are marked with the names of the business that are at the front and my assumption was that the bank customers are allowed to park here and considering even my receipt shows the time I was there was the time the ticket was issued. I thought I will deal with it later as I was quite busy. I went to the bank again on Monday 5/9/2016 and parked in the same place different bay. In about five minutes I was back and found another ticket. There was no one in the vicinity I went to the bank counter and explained and was told that they were not allowed to park there any more they came one morning and found signs and there was nothing they could do. I wondered why they didn't inform the customers but...on my way back I looked and sure the signs were there but they are the size of an A4 plaque and unless you are not familiar with you will not obviously note them especially because there had already been a sign to say its customers parking. Can I appeal against this tickets and is there a chance of them being reversed?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

So, in a nutshell, you used to be able to park there and one day, the signs appeared and you didn’t notice them? Is that it?

How prominent are the signs?

What do you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there was no notice that the parking space was changing ownership or whatever it was. the signs like I said are about the size of an A4 PAPER.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

The landowner doesn’t need to say that the parking space is changing ownership. Nor does the bank need to tell you that you can park there one day and not the next. It would be good customer service on the banks part but there is no absolute need for it.

Generally, appealing these charges to the parking company are a waste of time because they are in the business of making money which is why the signs of gone up. You can also appeal to POPLA

You can do that on the basis that there is not sufficient signage but not in my opinion on the basis that there was no signage one day there was the next.

If your appeal fails, you need to defend the action on the basis that there is not sufficient signage you to know that you were going to be charged.

These rarely go to court because even if the parking company wins, they will not recover their solicitors costs and it is not financially viable therefore for them to take them to court. I cannot guarantee they will not go to court but it is not that common. The parking companies rely on people just rolling over and paying up.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

I am pleased to have assisted. Best wishes.

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.