Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am a joint owner of a property and had to move out of his

I am a joint owner of a property and had to move out of his abusive and threatening behavior. He was let off without charge as my word against his. I have been staying at my sisters and he went away for a week. He is coming back today has said he will tell my son and his girlfriend to leave. Does he have the right even though i have given permission for him to stay.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. How old is your son?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
23
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Is he dependent on you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Does he pay rent or does he have a tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Rent
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Have you now returned to the property?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no i haven't to scared to
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Mr Harris are you there?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Firstly, if there is no tenancy agreement and he is living with either owner, he would likely be considered a "lodger" and can be evicted upon reasonable notice. As you are both legal owners of the property both your agreements will be needed for him to remain there. If you wanted to return to occupy the property but are too fearful from him then you would be entitled to apply to court for an occupation order which will exclude him from the property - this can be done using form FL401 to your local family court.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris
In the meantime if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top as I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you