Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I would like advice on: 1. What kind of solicitor should I

I would like advice on:
1. What kind of solicitor should I consult on further on the below issue / retain
2. Should I consider a restraining order / anti-molestation order?
Background:
Several months ago, my parent (living in the UK) attended my wedding in the United States. They had been clearly informed in writing and on the phone that the ceremony would be short and what kind of religious ceremony it would be. They agreed to attend, willingly and stated in writing that the ceremony had to suite my soon to be wife and I's needs.
Previous to this, this parent had passed on a family heirloom to me, to be used as an engagement ring. That it was a gift was clear and no conditions were attached to the gift in writing, nor to my remembrance in spoken words.
The wedding ceremony occurred and the parent, 'acted out'. They became angry at the nature of the ceremony and stormed out later towards the end of the reception. The parent returned to the United Kingdom and wrote a detailed email stating in detail how they were going to negatively effect my personal, professional and religious standing, unless they received an apology for a (every growing) list of apparent offences. The nature of this letter was very unpleasant, received on the first day of my honeymoon. My reply was simple, stating sympathy for the parents feelings and offering to discuss and resolve all concerns on all sides. The parents response in a growing exchange is vindictive and threatening.
The parent has stated that they have discussed their complaint with lawyers, that they intend to prosecute for their apparent hurt and offence caused by the ceremony, has disowned me and demands the return of the family heirloom, has indicated that they have communicated with religious representatives to picket the in-laws family home and take action against my wife and I.
In the exchange, I have consistently advocated for peace, reconciliation and mediation. At least minimally for discussion. The parents replies have been to deny anything other then apology at threat of these negative actions.
I would like to get advice on, what type of solicitor should I seek advice from concerning what is presumably a small claims suite that may or may not be combined with some kind of personal injury claim (emotional distress - I am guessing on this later point).
Also, given the written nature of the threats, which in my mind amount to libel or intent to libel, blackmail and or harassment, might I have some legal recourse to deal with the emotional harm, stem the tide of ill intent at least outside of the courtroom.
No legal action has been taken at this time to my mind. I am still working to resolve this but I want to make sure I am not caught unprepared should this not go well.
I retain my UK citizenship while residing in the United States.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

I assume this is a UK law question. What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear Jamie,This is a UK law question. I am looking to make sure I find suitable legal representation should this parent file a complaint/s (see last section of original question). Also, given the extra-legal threats this person has made, should I consider filing for an order to stop this, I believe this might be an anti-molestation order (known elsewhere as a restraining order).I would like advice on:
2. Should I consider a restraining order / anti-molestation order?Background:Several months ago, my parent (living in the UK) attended my wedding in the United States. They had beenclearly informed in writing and on the phone that the ceremony would be short and what kind of religious ceremony it would be. They agreed to attend, willingly and stated in writing that the ceremony had to suite my soon to be wife and I's needs.Previous to this, this parent had passed on a family heirloom to me, to be used as an engagement ring. That it was a gift was clear and no conditions were attached to the gift in writing, nor to my remembrance in spoken words.The wedding ceremony occurred and the parent, 'acted out'. They became angry at the nature of the ceremony and stormed out later towards the end of the reception. The parent returned to the United Kingdom and wrote a detailed email stating in detail how they were going to negatively effect my personal, professional and religious standing, unless they received an apology for a (every growing) list of apparent offences. The nature of this letter was very unpleasant, received on the first day of my honeymoon. My reply was simple, stating sympathy for the parents feelings and offering to discuss and resolve all concerns on all sides. The parents response in a growing exchange is vindictive and threatening.The parent has stated that they have discussed their complaint with lawyers, that they intend to prosecute for their apparent hurt and offence caused by the ceremony, has disowned me and demands the return of the family heirloom, has indicated that they have communicated with religious representatives to picket the in-laws family home and take action against my wife and I.In the exchange, I have consistently advocated for peace, reconciliation and mediation. At least minimally for discussion. The parents replies have been to deny anything other then apology at threat of these negative actions.I would like to get advice on, what type of solicitor should I seek advice from concerning what is presumably a small claims suite that may or may not be combined with some kind of personal injury claim (emotional distress - I am guessing on this later point).Also, given the written nature of the threats, which in my mind amount to libel or intent to libel, blackmail and or harassment, might I have some legal recourse to deal with the emotional harm, stem the tide of ill intent at least outside of the courtroom.No legal action has been taken at this time to my mind. I am still working to resolve this but I want to make sure I am not caught unprepared should this not go well.I retain my UK citizenship while residing in the United States.

1) It would be a standard civil litigation solicitor. You can find one here:

http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

2) You could consider a injunction preventing contact. But there would have to be a course of conduct, that is harassment on more than 1 occasion.

You would need to complete forms N208:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n208-eng.pdf

And N16a:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n016a-eng.pdf

The Court would set the matter down and decide whether to make an order preventing contact directly/indirectly, save through a Solicitor.

If the Court makes an order and it is breached, this could be contempt of Court and they could be warned, fined or sent to prison

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor