Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I'm a sole trader graphic designer. After sending a quote –

I'm a sole trader graphic designer. After sending a quote – and having that quote accepted by the client – they are now refusing to pay as they say that what I did was actually part of a pitch process for them and that I was unsuccessful. It was never suggested in all of our extensive email conversations that it was a pitch and that if I was unsuccessful that I would not get paid for the work I did. I spent four days producing the work and I have an email from the client agreeing to the cost and instructing me to proceed. Is there anything I can do to get the money I'm owed? It's £1920. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you get something in writing confirming your instruction to do the work please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jamie, yes, I have extensive emails between me and the client – and one that clearly states she's happy for me to proceed and that the cost is fine. Having done many pitches before I'm aware that if you don't win, you don't get paid but I feel that this was underhand on their part not to even mention it. I didn't get a chance to present my work personally – which could have meant a different outcome from the pitch too. As I believed they were a new client, I also kept my costs down and bent over backwards to help them out. I spent at least an hour on the phone with her and responded to every email quickly, professionally and accurately. I'm obviously massively cross about this!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor