Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Can we as a Church as part of a fund raising day have a sing

Can we as a Church as part of a fund raising day have a sing a long in the evening.Use a D V D of perhaps Momma MIa OR perhaps part of the video just depicting the popular songs.Do we buy a lience? or if we only use small parts of the songs do we have to pay.
Thank You
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is it just for this one evening please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is for one evening only next year
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Then usually if you play music to members of the public etc you should have a PRS and PPL licence.
But if it is just for one night then in reality no one is going to know about this so you could risk not having one.

This is because it would not be cost effective for one night.

I know PPL offer a discount licence for £14 for a year, for Churches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you let me know what PRS is and PPL and do the film makers eg Fox films MGM have to know ? do we have their permission to project their film for the one evening? A momma MIa sng a long whilst the film is being shown? Thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

PRS and PPL licence music. Therefore if you get a licence from PPL/PRS you do not need further permission

https://www.prsformusic.com/

http://www.ppluk.com/

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I think this is what I want to know. Wish us luck,
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

I hope it goes well. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!