Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a Bankruptcy petition with a hearing set for 20th

Customer Question

Hi I have a Bankruptcy petition with a hearing set for 20th September the debt on the petition is £5089,00 which I intend to pay the claimant is insisting that I pay their cost of 1250 to 1700 before the will with draw the petition do have have to pay costs in this instance
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Sadly yes you have to pay their reasonable legal costs.

But all you need to do is keep the debt below £5,000 in order to prevent bankruptcy.

The court can only make you bankrupt if the overall debt is over £5,000

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi JamieCan you please call me on 07401 375457ThanksOlive

Sure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Further to my conversation please see below correspondence regarding the claim, can you please let me know if this look acceptable and how do I ensure the petition is removed permanentlyThanksDear Miss Gardiner
Further to your email of 12 September 2016, I confirm that my client is agreeable, in principal, to accepting repayment of the petition debt of £5,089.37, plus my client's associated costs (which I presently expect to be in the region of £1,500 to £1,750), as follows:
· A payment of £1,500 prior to the hearing on 20 September 2016;
· Monthly payments of £150, commencing from 30 September 2016 and, thereafter, by no later than the last day of each month.
Please note that all payments must be made from an account in your own name.
Assuming that you are in agreement with the above, in order that you can satisfy my client that you are able to maintain your proposed payments, the court will be requested to adjourn the Bankruptcy Petition hearing to the next available date after 3 months. Provided that you strictly maintain all of the payments which fall due prior to the next hearing, I will then provide you with a draft Consent Order which will set out the terms upon which my client is prepared to consent to the dismissal of the Bankruptcy Petition. The draft Consent Order will also set out the precise amount of my client's costs that you are required to pay in addition to the petition debt.

You need to ask for a detailed breakdown of work done. Then you can see whether they are reasonable.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi can you please give me a call to discuss the emailThanksOlive***********

Sure.